If you are a Leader to your children at home (and you are), what kind of tone are you setting for them to follow? How are they learning to think, feel and act based on what they see from you. If you were to observe you, what would you say? What kind of tone are you setting and what are your children learning from it?
- How do you carry yourself, what is your body language?
- What is your default facial expression?
- What is your tone of voice?
- What is the volume of your voice and the pace of your voice?
- How do you speak to yourself (yes children can pick up on this)?
- How do you speak to your children?
- How do you speak about family and friends?
- How do you speak about what is going on in the world?
What are you communicating? Warmth, happiness, confidence, optimism, patience?
Your tone MORE THAN ANYTHING reveals how you feel about yourself, how you feel about your children and the world. Your children will observe and learn based on this example.
So, what kind of tone are you creating and communicating?
Is what you have just observed in line with how you’d like to be and what you’d like your children to learn?
If you are a parent, you are a leader, and you set a tone. Would you like help setting a better tone at home? A tone of calm, clear, curious, connectected, compassionate, and confident?