Important work projects require visioning and planning. Can you imagine giving the same kind of attention and focus to how you raise your children?
How much time have you set aside to think about and plan how you might build the best relationship with your child (ren)? How much time have you set aside to study or discuss how to most effectively empower you child toward his or her own meaningful success?
If children are the most important things, they certainly deserve this kind of attention.
Here is a way you can create a productive pause in your parenting. Below, I give you 7 questions to get you started on creating a vision and a plan:
- What happens if you don’t plan, if you parent on auto-pilot? Where does your family end up? Where do your children end up?
- Do you believe it’s possible to create an intentional future for you and your family? Do you believe it would be useful to craft a vision. Why?
- What life do you want to help your children create? Why?
- What is the best kind of relationship you could have with your child(ren)? What does it look like? Is it happening?
- Paint the picture. If all went well, what would things look like 2 years from now, 10 years from now?
- How would you know that you had been successful in living out your vision?
- Is anything getting in your way of creating the future you want for you and your children? What can you do about it?
Last question: Do you need help in help in defining a vision and staying accountable to it?